Thursday, November 30, 2006

New Orleans

I just got back from another trip to New Orleans to help cleanup (muck) the houses that were flood damaged. It has only been 2 1/2 months since we were there in the August and I could not believe the difference. There was so much more life when we returned. Many more mom and pop joints were open or getting ready to re-open. A lot more traffic. Life was beginning to more forward. I was so encouraged by the resilience of the people.


We spent our Thanksgiving week down there serving. It was a totally different trip. We did mostly the same things we did last time but it was still different. I took more adults this trip. Their lives were just as impacted as the kids were on the first trip. It is amazing what happens when you put everything aside (theological difference, race, economic, etc.) and just go out and serve people who need help. Lives are forever impacted. Faith is changed and the oppressed are freed (somewhat).


I will continue the blog at another time. I need to work and process through the last day in New Orleans. I will write about what happened, my thoughts and feelings and where I am at now.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt-
Kelly and I went shopping tonight and bought only a few cards and a Christmas present. She told me how mucking out people's houses had impacted her view of possessions. We enjoyed each other's company, enjoyed the displays, enjoyed the free snacks, and the wonderful atmosphere that always comes with Christmas. But we were more grateful and more open to the meaning of the season than to the idea of possessing all the material pieces of it.
Peace,
Terri

Matt Tibbles said...

That is fabulous! I hope we all can continue to fight our urges to buy and begin to live simpler lives.

Continue to burn your light bright Terri and Kelly!

Jason Hill said...

Thanks for going to LA, Matt. I'm looking forward to hearing about your last day there.