Monday, May 08, 2006

The Drink


I sit here and watch one of my favorite TV shows in the whole world (Hint: duna dah. . . duna dah). That's right Sportscenter. During the commercials there are many commercials about drinks that revitalization the body. From Powerade to Gatorade Rain to Propell Water, all of the drinks promise to help the body revitalize vital nutrients that are either used up or sweat away during games or exercise or practice. The promise to revitalize due to a drink reminded me of an encounter Jesus had with an outcast at a well.

Jesus asked for a drink because his body needed some replenishment. This woman gives him a drink. He then offers her a drink. She is confused because he has no water to offer her, so she questions what "drink" he is talking about. He responds with "living water."

Now that is a drink I want! Water that not only replenishes but gives life. I was reading an email from a friend that has moved away for a learning opportunity. I see living water in her. God has taken her on a journey this past year. She is using language that she did not use before. Phrases like: every step of faith I take has parted a sea; may the living God be with. That is living water.

I want a drink of that water! Anybody up for a drink? I will be glad to drink with you!