Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

I saw Hotel Rwanda last night. I walked away disturbed! (To put my feelings lightly.) Even now I think about the movie and my eyes begin to tear up. I remember the endless and pointless killing. The bodies laying everywhere. It happened over 10 years ago. I do not remember any of it. What also bothered me was I did not know how the story ended. I did not know if Tutsies were completely wiped out or not. It ended that Tutsie rebel army pushed the Hutus out of Rwanda and ended the mass killing in Rwanda.

I am disturbed on multiple levels. First, what did we (U.S.) do to help stop this. According to the movie--nothing! Second, we invade and begin a war in Iraq but do nothing about the killing in Rwanda when it was happening. Both are equally cruel. Both are injustice. Both deserve better. Why choose Iraq over Rwanda? I know Rwanda happened while President Clinton was in office but that doesn't change the injustice and the crimes against humanity. Do not give me a terrorist argument. Thirdly, where was the Church in all this?

At the end of the movie, there were people helping the Tutsie refugees with food, medical care, and bare necessities to live. I wanted to be one of those people. They were there fighting against injustice. They were there caring for the homeless. Christ would have been there.

All Christians need to see Hotel Rwanda! It will change you.

  • Hotel Rwanda

  • No comments: