Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Practicing God's Presence

I am in the middle of Brother Lawrence's book title Practicing the Presence of God. I am amazed at the life the he lived. I have been trying to practice God's presence for the past three weeks. Just trying to do 5 minutes every hour. I do not spend the time praying. I spend the time reminding myself that God lives in me and God is near me. I have been amazed at how that changes those five minutes. They are more peaceful. They are more focused. But it is getting harder to do those 5 minutes. I have become more busy in my life. I have taken on more responsibility at church. I find myself being incredibly too busy to even take the time to spend 5 measly minutes thinking about God's presence. It seems there are more good things out there to do, and I am just longing to "be". A few questions have come to my attention through the past 3 weeks:
1. Am I becoming more aware of the things God desires for his servants to do?
2. Is Satan trying to tempt me into doing all these good things and keep me from the presence of God?

I long for time to be with God. I long for His presence to be real and me to aware of it constantly. Brother Lawrence said even when the kitchen at the monastery was busy and everybody was working, talking, and giving orders, he still felt the presence of God in all that. What is that like to be able to experience God's presence when things are so incredibly busy? I am extremely busy but seldom in my busyness am I keenly aware of God's presence. Lessons to be learned from a Christian who lived over 400 years ago.

More about Brother Lawrence at the following site:
Brother Lawrence

No comments: