Friday, March 25, 2005

The Prodigal

I have been thinking about the parable of the prodigal son. There are multiple threads to think about.

The Son (who leaves)
What would entice him so much to leave a place where he is loved, clothed and blessed? Maybe he was disillusioned about what the future can bring. I do not know what he could have been thinking. I do know what I think when I become the prodigal son. I think I can do it on my own. I do not need anybody. I can do it better. All of those ideas are lies. All of those ideas are deceptions I buy into not with money but with my life. I pay to do those ideas with my life. That is an expensive exchange. The good part of the son is that he comes to his senses and goes home.

The Father
He loves the son no matter what! He loves the son because he is 'the son'. He loves because that is what he does.

The Other Son (who stays)
He doesn't understand. He can't get passed himself because he has always been the 'good' son.

Sometimes I think we can transition from being a prodigal son who is very thankful to be loved after we leave and come back, to the older son who complains about never leaving. Like we have the 'right' to complain because we have never 'strayed as bad as others'. We are blessed to be born into the family. What did we do--NOTHING.

I love to be loved by the Father. I know he delights in my right choices. I know he empowers me to walk the paths of righteousness. I know he loves to love me. I delight in that. I love to be loved by the Father. Try it some time and let God love you the way he wants to love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »